ActivePDF Server Overview
Server-based Print-to-PDF Generation
Need to deliver existing reports, statements or other application data as PDF? Why re-invent the wheel when you can just print to PDF! Don't be fooled by imitations - activePDF Server is the only PDF print driver designed from the ground up for multi-threaded production in high stress environments.
With both COM and .NET APIs, Server enables you to easily print-to-PDF from virtually any source - as long as your application is capable of printing, you can integrate with Server to generate high-quality, standards-compliant PDF output. Visit our examples site to see how easy it is to integrate with C#, ASP, VB, PHP, Ruby and more.
Convert Legacy Output
Or perhaps you have a legacy application already generating output in another print format? In addition to its robust print-to-PDF functionality, Server simplifies the task of converting several common output types directly to PDF. With built-in support for PCL, XPS, PostScript and over 40 image types, you can use Server to transform output from these legacy systems directly to PDF with a single method call.
Precise control over PDF settings
With custom options for page scaling, watermarking, PDF security, digital signatures, and more, Server enables you to deliver exactly what your users require. PDF options can be set at the printer or API level, providing you the best balance of flexibility and maintainability. Click the features tab above to read more about Server features.
Enterprise Class Performance
Other PDF print drivers claim to "operate" in multi-threaded server environments, but activePDF Server is the first and only product specifically engineered to run concurrent, simultaneous jobs under stress. With tens of thousands of deployments, activePDF Server is the trusted solution for mission-critical applications in every industry.
Flexible, Cost-effective Licensing
Need to distribute Server with your application? With competitively priced OEM and Volume Licensing options available, you can deliver the exact functionality your users demand, without breaking the bank.
ActivePDF Server Features
ActivePDF Server can be used to generate PDF output from your server-based applications - perfect for printing reports, invoices, statements and other high-volume scenarios.
- Print-to-PDF from your server-based application
- Convert native PostScript files (.ps or .eps) directly to PDF
- Convert PCL and XPS files directly to PDF
- Convert over 40 image types, including TIFF and JPEG
Ease of Integration
- Dynamic PDF creation can be added to any application capable of printing - simply direct your application to print to Server
- Convert images and print formats (e.g. PS) with a single method call
- .NET and COM interfaces enable you to integrate with virtually any Windows application
- Pre-built examples help you get up and running with minimal time investment
Performance & Management
- Virtual Printer technology dynamically creates and cleans up printers based on load requirements
- Multi-threaded, enabling simultaneous, concurrent processing for maximum performance
- Web based Configuration Manager enables you to remotely configure and control your deployments
- File naming and overwrite options allow you to configure how Server handles naming conflicts based on your business needs
PDF Output Options
- Generate ISO-standards compliant PDF, PDF/A and PDF/X output
- Support for PDF Security, including 40- and 128-bit RCA encryption and 128-bit AES encryption
- Digitally Sign output, enabling tamper detection and non-repudiation
- Paper Size and Scaling settings enable you to generate properly formatted documents from your printed output
- Add PDF metadata to your documents for indexing and retrieval.
- Font embedding and substitution options permit you to optimize for file size, visual accuracy and editability, depending on business needs
- Automatically append output to existing PDFs - for example, individual invoices can be concatenated together to produce a single document for printing/distribution
- Insert PDFMarks into your print job, dynamically adding PDF elements such as annotations, bookmarks, articles, and more.
ActivePDF Server 2013 System Requirements
- Windows Server 2008 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
Minimum Recommended Hardware
- 256 MB of RAM
- 170 MB of hard disk space (for application)
Additional Software Requirements
- Microsoft .NET 4.0
(if not detected, will be installed automatically)